How to drink Absinthe correctly is the issue many people have once they have been able to obtain a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France everybody knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the
way of life and was even more famous compared to wine.
The ability of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent years due to ban on Absinthe in most countries for many decades. In the United States it was banned in 1912 and Absinthes for example the “Lucid” brand only have just gone available for sale in the US in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe While using the Classic “Ritual”
This is the authentic technique for preparing Absinthe employed in pre ban times in the 19th century in France and Switzerland. There is an art to working with this method and it depends on utilizing a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe straight into an Absinthe glass or big glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon on the top of the glass and put a cube of sugar on the spoon.
– Carefully drip iced water on the sugar in order that the sugar dissolves and drips through the slots into the Absinthe. Either make use of an Absinthe fountain or dripper to regulate the dripping or use a very steady hand to pour the water coming from a carafe.
– Watch the Absinthe louche (turn cloudy) as the water mixes in the alcohol.
– Enjoy your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe While using the Modern day Bohemian or Czech Strategy
This is a more modern method that is a bit of fun and is scorned by many Absinthe drinkers. It is often combined with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes that have a lower alcohol content. Care must be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass.
– Soak the sugar cube within the Absinthe and after that place on an Absinthe spoon resting on the rim of the glass.
– Employing a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and view it as it caramelizes , melts and drips in to the Absinthe, it may set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Carefully pour iced water to the Absinthe to put out the flames and to make the Absinthe louche.
– Drink your Absinthe.
Ratios of water to Absinthe depend on taste but a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the recommended dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously created “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe plus champagne, but there are plenty of other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do need to remember that Absinthe is a very strong Alcoholic drink and is somewhere around twice the potency of other spirits just like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Blend 3 parts Absinthe with one part top quality vodka within an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Blend 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Add ice and after that stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe right into a cocktail glass with ice and top-up with tomato juice. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with salt and pepper.
There are plenty of different ways of how to drink Absinthe and you can even invent your own personal cocktails.