Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, used a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg absinthe fountain. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Produce Absinthe from home?
Although some recipes on the web are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is prohibited in several countries and also you require the right equipment and you have to know what you are doing. So, are there any other ways of making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This generally involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or even a few weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation can provide a genuine Absinthe, this will just present you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available online, much like the ones from Green Devil, are simply steeping kits. They are easier than discovering and preparing your personal herbs but you’re merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and creating a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and much better approach to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are made by distilling classic Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four distinct kinds:-
– Classic Green Essence to make a vintage “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to produce Absinthe having a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe having a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe which has a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You can either get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or get a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 creative bottle labels. All that you should supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe depends on your alcohol base. Be careful, drink Absinthe in moderation because it is a much tougher beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which doesn’t have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.