Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and also nutmeg. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe however some distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Produce Absinthe in your own home?
Even though some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is against the law in several countries and also you require the right equipment and you also need to find out what you are doing. So, are there more methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This generally involves steeping herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or possibly a couple of weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation can provide a real Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available on the web, just like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you’re simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and better approach to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are produced by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a true Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four various varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a vintage “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to produce Absinthe having a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe with a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You may either buy a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to produce one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or get a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit comes with a handy plastic gauge and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Keep in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe in moderation because it’s a significantly stronger beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which does not have a powerful taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.